Tuesday 21 June 2011

Listomania

I like lists. I mean i really like lists A LOT. In recent years it has gotten to the point that it could be described as more of a fetish then a like. Compiling, sorting, and ranking said lists are like a drug. 
The only thing I like to do more then make a list of music, is burning mixes for cute girls, it normally goes something like this, "you haven't heard of the new romantic period? I'll burn you a mix if you like?", "umm……sure." Incredible self indulgent, and doesn't work. Turns out its not sweet. But that's a whole other blog right there.

Back to the task at hand though, lists. Oh how i love lists. And no list make me more happy then the one I get to put together at the end of each year for the Triple J Hottest 100 count down. 
Picking my favourite songs for the year just past, takes weeks to finishes, and only minutes to listen to the two songs i voted for that make it into the entirety of the 100. I crave this. I lust after it. I pray for more oppitunities to tell myself how fly I am, especially in winter when the number of girls willing to accept my pretentious and wankful compact discs seems to dwindle. Turns out the big fella up there has a soft spot for me. My prays have been answered and a countdown is amongst us. Only this time it is to be our favourite Australia albums of all time we vote for. 

To be perfectly honest the idea of a Hottest 100 for Australian albums didn't strike me at first. Apart from the whole ranking stuff part, that i was all down for. But, Australian albums? Have i even liked 10 Australian albums over the years enough to put them in such holy a list? A list sent by God? Simple put, Yes.  
After actually sitting down amongst my cd and record collections it became apparent that this was going to become a much harder list to cut down to a mere 10. I spent the first few hours writing a list of albums i thought meant the most to Australian music industry and public two albums made me realise the list needed to be torn up and a new one written that was a lot more personal. The first being Machine Gun Fellatio's second album Paging Mr. Strike and the other Braxton Hicks by Jebidiah. Neither album changed the face of australian music, or were probably regarded as even being more then average albums by the general public. But at a time when i was still discovering that the music world hard more to offer then Fred Durst and the word fuck. Both these albums, in my opinion were a pretty good step in the right direction, and being able to see these bands on a semi regular basis just did all the more to confirm this. 

What could have been another chance make myself feel above it all has actually turned into a list of nostalgia.

10. The Grates - Gravity Won't Get You High

9. Ground Components - An Eye For A Brow. A Tooth For A Pick

8. Frenzal Rhomb - Sans Souci

7. Jebidiah - Braxton Hicks

6. Ragurgitator - Unit

5. Ben Lee - Ripe

4. Pnau - Pnau

3. Machine Gun Fellatio - Paging Mr. Strike 

2. Grinderman - Grinderman 


1. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colours 


The number one spot would have been held by British India's Counter Culture however it was refused entry due to the fact it is an EP. 


FARRALL



This list took so much effort that I feel a few honourable mentions are in order. 
The Mess Hall - For The Birds
The Saints - I'm Strandard
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
Radio Birdman - Radios Appear
The Presets - Beams
British India - Guillotine
Xavier Rudd - To Let

0 critics:

Post a Comment